Special Events and Communications Intern
Status: Part-time internship*; January 2020 – May 2020 (negotiable)
Reports To: Operations Manager
Overview of Position: Assist in planning and executing WCO’s annual spring gala (May 2020), and additional cultivation events. The ideal candidate is an aspiring nonprofit professional who is organized, a quick learner, and has an appreciation for the performing arts. Working with a small team in a fast-paced and highly visible office provides exciting hands-on experience, and the opportunity to gain new skills and network with leaders in the Washington, DC arts community. Some weekend and evening work is required.
• Create and implement special events content for WCO website, social media, and e-communications.
• Oversee management of the gala’s silent auction, including but not limited to the organization of items, maintenance of the auction’s online catalog, set up on the day of, and item fulfillment.
• Assist with check in at events, and will call at performances.
• Coordinate invitations, promotional materials, and programs for events and performances.
• Update guest registration, seating information, and related data entry.
• Serve as a point person for day of event and performance logistics.
• Assist with event donor acknowledgement and guest follow-up.
• Junior or senior standing undergraduate or graduate student, preferably with an interest in nonprofit management and/or event planning. Coursework/experience in related fields preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and web-based platforms (e-marketing, social media). Experience with donor database software (especially Patron Manager) a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to maintain a professional demeanor.
• Detail-oriented, resourceful, and creative.
• Outgoing, energetic, and positive personality.
*Hours/Compensation: 10+ hours/week, TBD. Modest stipend OR academic credit, if approved by school.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter that addresses your qualifications for this position to email@example.com.